Friday, October 8, 2010

Regina Cain Full Sail MAC: Cain_Regina_Wk2 Reading: Art of Possibility, ch 4-...

Wk2 comment:

Regina Cain Full Sail MAC: Cain_Regina_Wk2 Reading: Art of Possibility, ch 4-...

Chapter 4. Being a Contribution: Over the years, I’ve observed how people handle various situations in their lives. People who succeed do not have fewer problems than people who fail. It is how they perceive issues and how they react to situations that makes a difference. The purpose of this chapter was to help us look at how we can contribute in order to make a difference in the lives of others even if it’s only one person. How will I be a contribution today?

One of the things my mother taught me was that it does not matter what happens in your life but your reactions to those happenings. I try to go through my life taking on new challenges and striving for new goals. Sometimes I do well and other times I fail. I enjoyed this chapter as it teaches that even failures can be contributions to make life better. The inner child that demand attention is sometimes hard to quiet though.

I try to be a contributor in everything I do, however, many times it is for selfish reasons. Like most people I love the recognition of being the only one able to fix something or the only one able to teach a certain software or how to use a particular confusing piece of hardware. The following chapters helped me to realize I can be a leader and contributor and allow others to shine.

Chapter 5. Leading from Any Chair: We’re all leaders. How can we make a difference in the people will influence each day? How do we listen to those who help us make our dreams become reality?

I have strived in my life to give others recognition when they do something that contributes to goals that the team is trying to accomplish. This is a hard realization for me as I love being the center of attention. I love being in charge and giving orders. As I mom I find myself being very controlling at times. I liked the white sheet idea, I am trying to see how I can use it in group meetings or even presentations I give without it being redundant of the evaluations that are usually done. I will continue to strive giving others the opportunity to contribute in their own way and not taking over.

Chapter 6. Rule Number 6: Don’t take yourself so seriously. Life is a journey–enjoy and learn along the way. Live, laugh, and love!!

This chapter fits very well with chapter 4. The executive that put all the signs on the managers desk and his own was a wonderful role model. I see when we start to work on large projects that certain team members take themself too seriously. It also goes back to thinking outside the box. It would be nice to use the strategies of both these chapters at the beginning of any large project we work on as a team. I believe this would get the team to realize the potential of the group and achieve an amazing result.

2 comments:

Jeinine said...
Regina,

I enjoyed the set-up for this blog post. Reading The Art of Possibility has given me a lot of food for thought, too. It is good to reflect upon how we are operating in our daily lives. Yes, we tend to be self-centered at times. I agree with you, sometimes it is hard to "quiet" the inner child that seeks attention.
October 6, 2010 9:08 AM
elfig said...
Need to concur with you on your comments! I too, strive to be helpful in everything I can. Similar to your mom's saying, my mom always use to tell me "not to rush in growing older and to remember that in life it is now how you start your life but rather how you end in it". I also believe that there is so much stress in life because people are always in a rush to do "nothing".
One must enjoy life and its challenges. However, we are becoming a society of "rush". We are always in a rush. I was in NYC not too long ago and I was waiting for pedestrians to cross, I was overwhelmed at the hustle and bustle of the streets. People had on their "I need to be there" faces, pushing and just going at a walking speed that was unbelieveable.
It seem to be all about the "me" the self. I try very hard not to fall in that trap- however, when you are in all the time it becomes very hard!
October 8, 2010 8:07 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment