Friday, October 8, 2010

PONDERING ON TECHNOLOGY-Free Choice

I love technology, however, I have also come to hate it, a little! The way technology changes constantly is amazing. Here is a food for thought- are we better off with technology or without it? Back in the dinosaur age, we were force to write, think, self correct and actually pay attention to details. Today, we have word edit on word processing programs, we have email- texting, ichat,
video chat- you name it we have it. Yet, student performance in class has been plundering downward. My personal take is that technology is creating in "all" a comfort zone of "non" thinking. We type papers on the computer, we have the computer check for errors or grammar structure and "voila" its done. We shorten words by email or texting and "voila"- we don't need our brains "that " much.
We pay our bills online, we practically do everything online, which is good but there are some draw backs!
What is used for good is also used for bad. Identity theft are rampant due to hacking and personal funds from savings are also being stolen as well. So, where does it end? We create programs to help stop or avoid this and hackers create other programs to combat that and so forth.
I heard on the radio and read that there is a virus threat to "power plants" and other technical plants in Europe.
So --- What is the solution? WHO KNOWS! Well- just some food for thought- yet I can't get a clear signal in my kitchen or basement for my cell phone!

2 comments:

  1. Great bit of musing the benefits of technology. There are certainly those who feel that we'd be better off without technology, or at least the rampant commercialization and consumerism surrounding the technology culture. My first impulse is that I am glad that my four siblings and I didn't died from a childhood disease or that my mom and dad have both lived into their 70s and 80s, none of which would have probably happened in the previous non-technology era. There's a long way that we have to go to balance out access and distribution and taking better care of the planet, but that's human behavior, not technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you however, according to Einstein-
    “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.”

    :)

    ReplyDelete